Saturday, February 28, 2009

The Name Game

Okay... it's time for some fun! After much deliberation, we've decided on two names (one for a boy, one for a girl).

We had this idea that it would be really neat to name our kids after us, but in reverse. The name we came up with for a girl named after her daddy was Jasey and we loved it! Jason means "healer; to heal" and Jasey means the same, but also means "a gift." So we just liked the name all around and it was a go.

Coming up with a name for a boy named after his mommy was a little harder. Of course, we originally thought of the obvious... Kristopher.... and considered Kristian... but for whatever reason, I just wasn't really "sold" on either of those names. I don't know whether they felt too common to me or what, but they just weren't sinking in as much, as quickly, or as deeply as "Jasey" had.

So..... I kept pondering........................

Kristy is derived from Christian (which isn't news to anyone...) so I started looking up Christian and trying to find other derivatives of the name. The first one I read was Carson and the wheels started turning!

I thought... Karson.... oooooh, I like that a lot! Karson is also derived from Christian (it sort of sounds like it a little if you think about it... makes sense), so Karson, like Kristy, means "bearer/follower of Christ."

The coolest thing (I think) about this whole thing is that Jasey and Kristy have the same ring to them as do Karson & Jason. Both names just seem to really fit!

So, as of now, we're pretty set on those names as our top choices. We thought it would be pretty fun to post a poll for everyone to try to guess what we would choose for middle names. But before we send you into the game blindly, let us explain a little bit about each middle name we're listing so you can make a better-informed decision.

Middle names for Karson:
  • James - "to follow" - James is Jason's father's name.
  • Josiah - "healed/supported by God" - Jason's middle name is Joseph. Sort of sounds similar, plus we like the meaning.
  • Micah - "who is like God?" - with this name, Karson's initials would be the same as mommy's! K.M.S.
  • Elijah - "my God is Jehovah" - This has been one of mommy's favorite names for years.

Middle names for Jasey:
  • Margaret - "pearl" - Margaret is Kristy's mother's name.
  • Jordan - "the descender/the watering place" - with this middle name, Jasey's initials would be the same as daddy's! J.J.S.
  • Hannah - "favor/grace" - This is a name mommy really likes. Aside from being pretty, I think it would be a really fun way to teach Jasey what a palendrome means! :)
  • Rebekah - "captivating/beautiful" - This is a name daddy really likes; plus one of Jasey's meaning is "a gift"... so a "a beautiful gift" is a pretty cool first & middle name.

So, now that you've been given all of this education/information... vote wisely! There will be great prizes for our winners...... (umm...... except voting is anonymous). Feel free to leave comments as well explaining why you voted the way you did! Have fun! (we sure did!)

13 comments:

  1. I like Karson James! It has a nice ring when saying it together when he gets in trouble! LOL!

    I also like Jasey Rebekah - because of the beautiful gift meaning.

    Just a note from a teacher's point of view... if I can't tell a child's gender from their first name (like Jasey might be) then I usually look to their middle name (in which case Jordan wouldn't help!) But then again, there's usually an f or m after their name on the roster too, so who cares!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clearly, if you don't use Rebekah I will be insulted.
    Of course, you're spelling it all biblical....

    ReplyDelete
  3. of course i am voting for the palindrome!! when i was student teaching, that was my favorite math lesson, and they thought it was amazing! plus, it's a beautiful name and it sounds sweet.

    jennette is right - karson james sounds great! i think james is the best name in the world, but i can't use it because there is no getting away from being called "jimi hendrix".

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm voting on what I like :)

    Karson James - no doubt! Sounds great, has meaning from Jason's dad (and of course "uncle" James)

    And Jasey Rebekah - what a pretty name! it flows nicely (and of course will coincide with "aunt" becky)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness. I LOVE the names. What a cool way you guys came up with them too. Love it Love it Love it.

    Now for my vote...

    Karson James
    Jasey Jordan-- that just sounds so adorable!

    SO HAPPY FOR YOU TWO!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok originally I thought Jason's middle name was James. I said Karson James was too similar to Jason James, but now I realize it's Jason Joseph and I like Karson James best. So that's my vote. I also like Micah as a close second.

    For Jasey, I'm voting for Rebekah hands down. I just love the way that sounds and I can see you two being partial to a name with a cool meaning.

    ReplyDelete
  8. AWESOME idea LOVE it ...so cute!
    Love the names as well totally cool im digging this ...so i was thinking Karson Josiah
    and Jasey Margaret. Those are my choices. Those seem to flow the best when said out loud with your last name! Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy and such! God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  9. First off, I think I'm stealing your middle name polling idea for our blog because we are having a harder time on the middle name.

    I really love both Jasey and Karson, nice choices!

    My only thought about Jasey is that if you ever want to shorten her name, or shorten Jason's, they might get confused...both being "Jase". My stepdad is Jim and everytime my mom said one of our names we both went: "What?!" lol. Just something to think about...

    And don't settle yet!! You might find something much later that you love so much more! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I vote Karson Daley Straub or Jasey Penny Straub.

    -Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Kristy! I LOVE the blog! I am voting for Micah as the middle name (cause that's what we named our kid, so I'm partial to it.) We seem to have a run on boys lately, so I assumed it was going to be a boy. Then Shannon reminded me that you hadn't been drinking the LHBC water, so there is a chance it will be a girl.. In that case, I vote for Hannah. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think if it is a girl, Margaret should be the name. As a Mom, there is no higher honor than to have a child using some part of her name.

    ReplyDelete

----------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Lilypie Expecting a baby PicLilypie Expecting a baby Ticker


Daisypath Anniversary Years PicDaisypath Anniversary Years Ticker