Sunday, February 15, 2009

Mozart Effect

I felt the most connected I have ever felt with the baby last night… even moreso than when we heard the heartbeat, believe it or not! Jason and I got out my headphones and I randomly picked an artist for the baby to listen to. I figured… Norah Jones would be great… She’s soothing, there’s a lot of piano and her vocals are great. She’s very talented and I am always relaxed by her music so I figured it’d be perfect. But… something happened when I put the headphones to my belly… I just started wondering what the baby was thinking… what the music sounded like to him/her and if he/she liked it. I was sure he/she did…because why wouldn’t anyone? It was just very apparent to me that there was a listening human inside of me and we were both grooving to the same tunes! It was an awesome feeling! I fell asleep with the headphones on my belly!

Right before I dozed, I had this really cool idea. Jason and I agreed that we’d like to do an experiment: We’ll pick a quality artist to play for each baby and only play that artist…until they’re born, of course; at which point we’d expose them to many different artists… Now, this is a two-part experiment. One: we’d like to see if that particular artist would be more soothing/calming for the baby than any other artist and Two: we’d like to see if each kid shows a preference for that artist later in life before we tell them who their special artist-of-choice was. We just thought it’d be interesting to see if they subconsciously favor their chosen artist as they get older.

Get back to us in like 10 or 15 years and we’ll tell you how it’s turning out. It’s one of those long-term studies, of course. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

----------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Lilypie Expecting a baby PicLilypie Expecting a baby Ticker


Daisypath Anniversary Years PicDaisypath Anniversary Years Ticker