Friday, August 21, 2009

Happy Birthday Karson!

Aunt Kacy made sure to get Karson a birthday cake before he was born so that we could sing to him and celebrate his birthday! I knew there was a reason we kept her around! :)
So, I spent the evening on 8/20 with my mom and sister watching the movie August Rush... a movie Jason and I LOVED and we continuously referred to the August Rush we would be experiencing when the baby came! I secretly thought to myself... this movie is going to bring this baby!

I started having contractions around 7:30 pm... every 7 minutes (just like the night before). Then, around 11:00, they were coming every 5 minutes and Jason started keeping track on the computer. As I frantically scurried around the house puttering and cleaning in a frenzy, he was able to call out, "you're going to have another contraction in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1...." and the next one would start. He was thrilled with his psychic abilities.

After about an hour and 15 minutes of this, Jason called the doctor and he said since I was a day late and the contractions were so regular for so long, it warranted a visit to the hospital even if only to get checked out.

I still felt nervous about going in and being turned away to wait a few more days. I decided I really needed a shower.... so Jason patiently waited. Then, I decided I was hungry, and that I wanted eggs over easy, scrapple, and wheat toast.... so we went to the diner. Yes, at 1:45 am.

As I sat in the booth, each contraction would distend my belly so far that I was touching the table! I was able to house the WHOLE plate (and Jason didn't eat a thing! lol! He was a little nervous I guess).... anyway, with so much room in my stomach, I knew the baby had to have dropped even further.

Here's the short version of the story... We went in. I was checked out. The baby was kicking the heartbeat monitor and it sounded like he was stuck in a tin can. It was totally cracking us up! I was still 80% effaced and 3 cm dilated but since the contractions were every 3 minutes (now that the nurse brought on stronger and more frequent contractions by whatever they heck she did to me), they told me to walk around for an hour. Jason and I started our laps at 3:30 am. He was counting for me and would call each contraction before it happened. Soon they were 2 mins apart and then 1 min apart and then just continuous and more difficult to walk through. At 4:30 am, I was checked by the doctor and he said "don't let anyone let you leave here without your baby!" After I had my epidural, he came back in to break my water before his shift was over around 7 am just to make sure that didn't happen! lol.

Around 8 cm, my epidural started wearing off.... and I was experiencing "back labor" which SUCKS, by the way! The anesthesiologist took freaking 45 minutes to get up to my room so by the time he finally came in, I was 9.5 cm.... the contractions had gotten stronger the whole time and the epidural was wearing off the whole time... it was wonderful. UGH! Probably the worst pain of my life.... although a root canal I had a year ago is a very close competitor.

Anyway, around 11:30 or so, I decided it was getting close to time to push..... I started pushing around 11:50 or so... and that whole process really wasn't bad at all! (Thanks to the new epidural)... I think people who do that without drugs are insane! Maybe it's because I was having back labor but.... wow.

And now for the grand finale!!! Drumroll please.....................................

At 12:43 pm, on August 21st, 2009, Karson James Straub squeezed his little way into this world!
Our lives will never ever be the same!
.............weighing in at a whopping 6lbs, 8oz....19 1/2 inches long! what a peanut!!!
Karson with Grandmom... (Maska)And Mom-Mom (Straub)........Pop (Maska)
.........and Pop-Pop (Straub)

Mommy admiring her little snuggle bug!One of the best moments of the day... one I will never forget... Karson grabbed my finger and pulled it to his face and he just looked SO adorable! It was melting my heart, so I told Jason to grab the camera and I made him get the picture at exactly the angle I was seeing him from... I had to move my head out of the way to accomplish this, but Daddy did such a great job! Now, I not only have it burned into my mind, but it's actually in picture form as well!
It's amazing how much you can love someone you've only known a few hours!

Waiting, planning, pregnancy, labor, delivery, etc etc etc....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lilypie Expecting a baby PicLilypie Expecting a baby Ticker

Daisypath Anniversary Years PicDaisypath Anniversary Years Ticker