Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Our Second Pre-Natal Visit!

Today we went for our second pre-natal appointment! Yay! This one was a good one! There’s a lot to tell so bear with me!

First of all, I lost 7 pounds… which, they say, is normal in the beginning due to lack of appetite. My blood pressure was 110/70 which is great!… all my pee tests came back good; no protein or sugar in my urine… all good.

The doctor said that we would try to listen to the baby’s heartbeat but that many times, they have trouble hearing the heartbeat until about the 12th week or so… So, she put the cold jelly on my belly and searched around for a couple seconds…she found my heartbeat (I guess in a vein or something…lol) and then shortly after, we heard a really strong and fast heartbeat! She said it was pretty strong and didn’t seem to have any trouble holding onto it after she found it so it seems the baby is already cooperative!!! The heartbeat was 170 and she said during week 12, a heartbeat anywhere from 110 to 180 is good… so we’re in week 10 with 170…. sounds like a strong heart! woo hoo!

It was so cool to be able to hear the heartbeat! It was sort of surreal because I remember wondering what that would be like years and years ago… how that must feel to hear a heart beating inside of you…. It definitely made it feel much more real and made me much more aware that there is a tiny human inside of me who has his/her own little heart! It also made me very very excited for the first ultrasound! Oh yeah, and the doctor told us that we could go to Build-A-Bear and buy one of their little recorders so that on our next visit, we can record the Doppler heart beat and then go back and put it in a little bear for our baby! What a cute idea!!!

After all this excitement, I had to have my blood drawn and I was a little nervous, as I usually get when I have to get a shot or have blood taken… but, the woman was asking me if I was okay and she said that I looked patchy… I figured my face just got a little red or something because I was tense but when I went to the bathroom to give them my pee, I realized that the whole right side of my face was patchy and there was a little red spot peeking through the collar of my tee-shirt and when I lifted that my WHOLE chest was broken out in hives!!! I was like WHAT ON EARTH IS THIS!!!!!!

So when I went back out, I showed the nurses and Jason and I was like “this has NEVER happened to me before… I’ve NEVER gotten hives!” I kept reassuring them that I felt fine… they were acting like I was about to pass out… I was just thinking “this is a really querky pregnancy thing….” and I explained to them that a huge part of my job is speaking in public and what am I going to do now? lol! If I’m randomly getting HIVES ALL OVER MY CHEST, NECK and FACE when I get the least bit nervous…. I’ll have to quit my job!

What a strange experience!

When we were checking out, the lady at the front desk made a HUGE fuss about what a GREAT JOB I did filling out all the paperwork they gave us. She said it’s been years since she’s gotten a set of paperwork that didn’t need to be corrected at all! She had me and Jason pick out lolli-pops as a reward for our “excellent work!” It was very amusing. When we got in the car, Jason commented about it and I said “yeah, it must make a huge difference to have patients who are out of high school with college degrees!” lol. I mean, how hard is it to fill out basic paperwork? She really hasn’t had a perfectly completed set in years? No wonder she was so excited!

Anyway, thanks for checking in! That’s our latest (albeit very exciting) news!

1 comment:

  1. You guys have entirely too much time on your hands.....enjoy it while you can.

    David

    ReplyDelete

----------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Lilypie Expecting a baby PicLilypie Expecting a baby Ticker


Daisypath Anniversary Years PicDaisypath Anniversary Years Ticker